Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Gluten Free trends?

Amy's gluten free TV dinners are why
I hate vegetarians.
What will the big trend be in gluten free food for 2011?

2010 gave us Udi's.  I'd consider that the biggest GF trend of 2010.  The bread is good, for sandwiches, but it can get really soggy really quick.  I think normal gluten bread does that too though.

I would sandwich this between two steaks.
What do I hope will become mainstream in 2011? Gluten free food that any normal, rational person would want to eat.  When I was diagnosed 6 years ago, the only TV dinners I could find were vegetarian, dairy free, vegan, tasteless, weird looking, ethnic foods.  What the hell.  I had to go from Banquet fried chicken to tofu and rice?? Mother F! Can't someone invent American foods that are gluten free? I'm talking mozzarella sticks, or fried chicken, or, I don't know.  Something that comes with a lot of meat that was brutally slaughtered, stuffed full of preservatives, covered in salt, and delivered to a frozen food department near me.  This is all I want.  Please deliver it to my face.

Companies have gotten a good start on making food that normal Americans would want to eat, for example, Glutino makes bootleg Oreos, or as they like to call them, "chocolate vanilla dream cookies." My open letter to their marketing department: That name is a little too creative.  You are clearly over-stimulated, next time tone it down a notch.

The moon looks like a cookie too,
but you can't eat that!
I think the Kinnickinick Kinni-toos have the excitement of traditional oreos, but the cookies are a little stiff and the cream really tastes like lard (I think traditional Nabisco Oreos are stuffed with lard anyways, but... yeah, sorry if I just ruined Oreos for you).  If I could take the Kinni-toos packaging, and stuff it with the Chocolate and Vanilla Dream Cookies, I'd be in cookie monster heaven.

Now, since I've just really put myself in the mood for cookies, I'm going to go implement gluten free cookies into my advertising homework as much as possible (Print ad mock-ups, here I come!)

1 comment:

  1. great blog Maddy!I'm a huge supporter of the GF scene in Roch. I've visited every GF bakery that I can find, and have spent a lot of time working on my GF cake/treats recipes. I definitely see great things happening in 2011 for all dietary needs in Rochester!

    ReplyDelete